How we can help

It is our mission to promote, protect and defend the rights, liberties and freedoms guaranteed by the U.S. and Indiana Constitutions to all people in Indiana. What exactly does that mean?

It means the ACLU of Indiana can help you if you think your rights have been violated by a government agency or organization, including town government, schools, police officers or the state of Indiana. Among the issues we can address:

If you believe your constitutional rights have been violated, you can file a complaint with the ACLU. Please note that we have limited resources and are unable to pursue every case that comes to our attention.

There are some cases that we do not get involved in, such as evictions, landlord-tenant disputes, criminal prosecutions, divorce and personal abuse, child custody or wills. If you need legal assistance for any of these areas, please visit the Other resources to get help page for a list of other organizations that may be able to assist you.

We will respond to your complaint within 6 to 8 weeks. If we do take your case and represent you, our services are free.

Download the Constitution of the United States

How to file a complaint