The ACLU of Indiana is seeking an experienced, mission-driven applicant for the position of Digital Communications Associate to develop and implement a variety of communications strategies, primarily involving digital content and platforms, to build support for the ACLU's work, further its programmatic goals, and increase public awareness and appreciation of civil liberties.
The American Civil Liberties Union is our nation's guardian of liberty, working daily in courts, legislatures and communities to defend and preserve the individual rights and liberties that the Constitution and laws of the United States guarantee everyone in this country. The ACLU of Indiana is a statewide affiliate of the national ACLU.
The Digital Communications Associate will advance the ACLU of Indiana’s strategic priorities by effectively communicating across various platforms, growing the organization’s digital presence, and producing content that increases supporters’ knowledge of critical civil liberties issues and drives action. The Digital Communications Associate will report directly to the Director of Communications and will work out of our office in Indianapolis, Indiana, but will spend some time working in the community and surrounding cities.
- Manage and grow the organization’s social media presence
- Produce graphics and video content to tell powerful stories about the ACLU’s work via digital channels
- Generate web traffic, email, and social media audience engagement and growth through impactful, rapid-response digital communications strategies
- Produce emails and landing pages for action alerts; news updates, and other forms
- Maintain email subscriber distribution lists and databases
- Track, analyze, and report on social media metrics, email engagement, and web traffic in order to constantly evaluate and grow the ACLU of Indiana’s digital presence
- Maintain content on the website
- Write content for blogs, email communication, landing pages for action alerts and other forms to drive brand awareness and community action
- Assist in designing and producing educational and outreach materials (brochures, fliers, postcards, etc.)
- Develop and maintain inventory of ACLU resources and coordinate their distribution and tracking with other departments
- Support staff public-speaking and community appearances by providing materials and maintaining a calendar and record of events
- Other tasks as assigned by the Director of Communications
- Strong, demonstrated commitment to the ACLU's mission and its issues
- Strong social media skills across multiple platforms and analytics tools
- Visual storytelling with an instinct for using graphics, video and other available media to move people to action
- Experience with Adobe Creative Suite programs
- Exceptional writing and editing skills; ability to translate complex ideas into understandable messages that inform and engage targeted audiences
- Demonstrated success in digital communications, preferably in the nonprofit or government sector
- Bachelor’s degree is preferred, but not required
- Still photography and/or video photography skills
- Working knowledge of HTML and CSS
- Fluency in Spanish
Salary based on experience. Excellent benefits include 10 days paid vacation and 10 paid sick/personal days; medical and dental insurance; life and long-term disability insurance; 401(k) with matching contribution; and generous paid holidays.
Send a cover letter, resume, and writing sample (less than 3 pages) to: email@example.com
Please put "Digital Communications Associate" in the subject line.
Applications will be reviewed as received. Candidates are encouraged to apply immediately. We hope to have this position filled by the beginning of April.
The ACLU is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer and encourages applications from all qualified individuals including women, people of color, persons with disabilities, and lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender individuals, and people with arrest records and/or convictions.