The ACLU of Indiana is seeking an experienced, mission-driven applicant for the position of Intake Coordinator and Litigation Assistant to manage our requests for legal assistance and to support the ACLU's litigation to protect the rights and liberties of all Hoosiers.
The American Civil Liberties Union is our nation's guardian of liberty, working daily in courts, legislatures, and communities to defend and preserve the individual rights and liberties that the Constitution and the laws of the United States guarantee everyone in this country. The ACLU of Indiana is a statewide affiliate of the national ACLU.
The Intake Coordinator / Litigation Assistant will work under the direction of the Legal Director. The position will support a three-attorney litigation practice and coordinate with the Litigation Support Manager. The position will manage the intake process, ensuring that people who write to the ACLU for legal help receive timely assistance and support at the direction of the attorneys.
- Manage intake – the process by which we receive requests for legal help – and issue timely responses, including form letters and dictation, at the direction of attorneys
- Manage intake phone calls and walk-ins
- Maintain impeccable electronic and paper intake records
- Update and maintain attorney calendars based on email notifications from the courts
- Schedule visits and phone calls with clients who are incarcerated
- Supervise, train and schedule intake volunteers
- Provide back-up reception support
- Assist attorneys as needed and directed
Experience and Qualifications:
- Excellent oral, written, and interpersonal communication skills
- Superb organizational skills
- Proficiency in MS Office and willingness to learn new technologies, including our intake management database system
- Ability to multitask under pressure and respond to shifting demands without sacrificing attention to detail
- An understanding of and a passion for the issues and the mission of the ACLU and the ACLU of Indiana, with a demonstrated commitment to civil liberties and civil rights;
- Experience managing and motivating volunteers helpful;
- B.A. degree desirable;
- Fluency in Spanish a plus.
Salary based on experience. Excellent benefits include 10 days paid vacation and 10 paid sick/personal days; medical and dental insurance; life, short term and long-term disability insurance; 401(k) with matching contribution; and generous paid holidays.
Send a cover letter, resume, and three professional references to: email@example.com
Please put "Intake Coordinator and Litigation Assistant" in the subject line.
Applications will be reviewed as received. Candidates are encouraged to apply immediately.
The ACLU is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer and encourages applications from all qualified individuals including women, people of color, persons with disabilities, lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender individuals, and people with arrest records and/or convictions.