For nearly 100 years, the ACLU has been our nation’s guardian of liberty, working in courts, legislatures, and communities to defend and preserve the individual rights and liberties guaranteed by the Constitution and laws of the United States. Whether it’s protecting immigrants’ rights, achieving full equality for the LGBTQ community, establishing new privacy protections for our digital age, or preserving the right to vote, the ACLU takes up the toughest civil liberties cases and issues to defend all people from government abuse and overreach. With more than a million members, activists, and supporters, the ACLU is a nationwide organization that fights tirelessly in all 50 states, Puerto Rico, and Washington, D.C., for the principle that every individual’s rights must be protected equally under the law, regardless of race, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, national origin, record of arrest or conviction. The ACLU of Indiana is a statewide affiliate of the national ACLU.
The ACLU of Indiana seeks up to five legal interns for the summer of 2019. Interns will support the daily work of the Legal Department and gain insight into the ways we defend and protect our clients’ liberties through client advocacy and litigation. This volunteer opportunity requires a minimum weekly commitment of 35 hours between 9:00am and 5:00pm, Monday – Friday. Although interns do not need to seek credit with their law schools, we certainly encourage them to pursue that option if they wish.
ROLES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Entering intake
- Performing legal research
- Writing legal memoranda for existing and potential cases
- Participating in moot arguments
- Accompanying attorneys to court and other off-site locations
- Completing other duties as assigned
EXPERIENCE AND QUALIFICATIONS
- Presently enrolled in law school with at least one year completed
- A predilection for non-profit or public interest legal work
- Excellent written and verbal communications skills
- Some experience with Westlaw helpful
HOW TO APPLY
Please mail a resume and cover letter to Ken Falk at
DO NOT USE ONLINE FORM.