The ACLU of Indiana can help you if you think your rights have been violated by a government agency or organization, including town government, schools, police officers or the state of Indiana. Among the issues we can address:

  • Freedom of speech
  • Freedom of religion
  • Police misconduct
  • Censorship in public schools or libraries
  • Fairness in school or prison discipline
  • Privacy and other protections from government intrusion
  • Inhumane jail or prison conditions
  • Unfair treatment by government

There are some cases that we do not get involved in, such as evictions, landlord-tenant disputes, criminal prosecutions, divorce and personal abuse, child custody or wills. 

If you believe your constitutional rights have been violated, you can

But first, please make sure your case fulfills the following:

  1. Your civil liberties have been violated by a government entity
  2. Your issue concerns a right or freedom protected by the U.S. or Indiana Constitutions
  3. You are the person or party whose constitutional rights have been violated

We do not accept complaints from third parties, or complaints made on behalf of someone else. Please note that as our office puts additional precautions into effect due to COVID-19, we have limited resources and are unable to pursue every case that comes to our attention. We will make every effort to respond to your complaint within 8 to 12 weeks. If we do take your case and represent you, our services are free.